Jewelry Care Tips
At Symes Design we pride ourselves in the quality of gemstones and other natural materials used. Gemstones used in the collections can vary at times in color, clarity, shape and size. Thus each piece is one-of-a-kind and variations are normal and can be expected. The only metal used is solid sterling silver which contains 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% copper.
Here is a list of the materials used and proper care instructions.
Semi-precious gemstones: While these stones vary in shape and size, I do my best to utilize stones that fit the overall size, scale and quality of the finished design. The gemstones are natural and should be cleaned with mild soap and warm water which is lightly applied to the stones with a soft cloth.
I use Swarovski brand crystals in many of my handmade pieces. Each crystal typically is transparent with an aurora borealis coating. These crystals can be lightly cleaned with a soft cloth and mild soapy water.
Sterling silver can be brightened with a silver polishing cloth or Wright’s Silver Polish. You can purchase this brand in any grocery store. It leaves an anti tarnish coating that will keep your silver bright for an extended period of time. Storing silver in zip lock plastic bags will also keep your silver pieces bright and new.
All pearls used in my jewelry are genuine freshwater pearls. They should be clean with a damp cloth only as needed. If your pearls are visibly stained, you can mix a solution of lukewarm water and mild dish soap, dip a soft cleaning cloth in it and wipe the pearls. Do NOT submerge a pearl necklace in water. Let them dry thoroughly before storing.
- Never clean pearls with a steam or ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. Both of these methods are likely to damage the outer layer of the pearl.
- Last on, first off. Pearls should be the final touch to your outfit. Avoid applying makeup, hairspray, lotion or perfume once your pearls are on.
General Cleaning and Care Guidelines
- Keep your jewelry in airtight ziplock plastic bags to decrease oxidation.
- Store in a cool, dry place. Do not wear your jewelry in the shower or bath.
- Harsh cleaners and silver dipping solutions are not recommended for gemstone or pearl jewelry.
- Use a polishing cloth or Wright’s Silver Polish to polish your sterling silver items.
- Clean pearls with a damp cloth as needed.